Ilam is one of provinces with thousands of years of history and is considered as cradle of civilization in ancient Iran. Existing petrographies and historical remaining from Madian government on one hand and current resistance of this province’s people against foreign aggression on the other hand, has made the government’s authorities pay special attention to this province. In this regard infrastructure projects are considered as a necessary factor.
Ilam province with an area of about 19045 km2 is located in south west of the country and forms 1.2% of the whole area of the country. According to statistics, in 1996 this province had a population of about 487886 inhabitants. Ilam has 7 cities and towns, 17 districts and 36 rural districts. Considering the climate, Ilam is cold and semi-humid in north with average rainfall of 639 mm and warm in south with average rainfall of 200 mm. The northern part of this province is generally mountainous. In southern part of the province, Kabir Mountain has formed small catchment areas with small rivers in its southern domains that finally enter the plains. These plains in Dehloran are larger.
Lorestan province is a beautiful place with pleasant climate in high mountains. This province is located in the middle Zagros Chain Mountains. Ecological situation of the province has made this place suitable for economical development. Several historical places with outstanding cultural backgrounds together with many tourism attractions are among exceptional features of Lorestan province.
Lorestan province with an area of 28064 km2 is located in western part of Iran and forms 1.7% of the whole area of the country. This province with more than 1,600,000 inhabitants has 2.6% of the country’s population. Lorestan province in case of area and population has the fourth rank among other provinces of the country.
Ilam cement factory, Ilam dam and Seimare dam and power plant, as a national project, are now considered as a progress for this province. In order to become more familiar with Seimare project a brief history is presented:
- Karkhe catchment area civil project which its studies were carried out in 1975 by Electro Consult Co.
- Karkheh catchment area civil project which its studies were carried out in 1978 by “Omran and Manabe” Co.
- Studies related to recognition phase of Karkheh origins which in 1990 were carried out with cooperation of “Mahab Qods’ and “Electro Consult” Corporations. In this regard some construction locations were introduced including “Tang Sazbon”, “Tange Kafe Nil” or “Kafan Dahla” and “Tang Pa Alam” for basic studies.
- Studies of Seimare dam and power plant which in 1993 was handed over to “Mahab Qods and Electro Consult” Corporations. Since 1995 with resignation of Electro Consult Corporation, Mahab Qods has continued the works.
- In 1997 the results of “ELC” experts’ studies were presented under the title of Technical Reports of Reformation and Ratification of First Phase of Seimare and Sazbon Projects.
- In 1997 excavation and lining of diversion tunnels started by Sab Co. and ended in 2002. In the course of temporarily handing over of diversion tunnels in 2001, in a plane crash some of the colleagues lost their lives.
- Excavation of a part of water transfer tunnel, shaft and shock absorber shaft began in 2000 by “Zigoratt” Co. and ended in 2005.
- In 2002 construction of upstream and downstream cofferdam and dam body began and was finished in 2003 coinciding with diversion of Seimare River. In 2006 excavation of dam foundation also ended.
- In 2003, excavation of some parts of power plant construction location and access road to power plant began by Motabar Co. and ended in 2006.
- In 2005 the contract of power house building and equipments was concluded with “Farab, Farab International, Tablieh and Parhoon” group of companies.
- In 2006 the contract of remaining water transfer tunnel was concluded with “Payab Kosar” Co.
- In 2006 concrete placement of dam body began with attendance of Ilam governor, region representative in the parliament and general manager of IWPC.
- In 2007 with opening of Penstock no.2 the intake and outlet of tunnel was practically opened.